Mamata Banerjee Height, Weight, Age, Wife, Affairs, Children, Biography & More
Some Lesser Known Facts About Mamata Banerjee
|Full Name||Mamata Banerjee|
|Political Party||Indian National Congress
All India Trinamool Congress
|Political Journey||• She became a member of Indian National Congress in 1970.
• Mamata served as the General Secretary of state "Mahila Morcha" of the Congress party from 1976 to 1980.
• After defeating veteran Communist politician Somnath Chatterjee from the Jadavpur parliamentary Constituency in West Bengal in 1984 general elections, she became one of the youngest parliamentarians ever.
• She also served as the General Secretary of Indian Youth Congress.
• Due to the anti-incumbency, Mamata lost her seat in 1989 Lok Sabha elections.
• Mamata was again elected as a Lok Sabha MP from Dakshin Bengal in 1991 general elections and kept on winning the seat in 1996, 1998, 1999, 2004, and 2009 elections.
• She was made the Union Minister of State for Human Resources Development, Youth Affairs and Sports, and Women and Child Development in 1991. She was discharged of her portfolios in 1993.
• Mamata then left the Congress Party in 1997 and established All India Trinamool Congress the exact same year.
• After there was a hung assembly in the Centre in 1999 elections, she joined the BJP led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) as an ally and was given the charge of Railway Ministry.
• In 2001, she ended her ties with the NDA and went on to join hands with Congress Party for the then West Bengal Assembly elections.
• She returned to the NDA in January 2004 and was named the Coals and Mines Minister of India until the dissolution of Lok Sabha in May 2004.
• For the parliamentary elections 2009, she joined hands with the Indian National Congress-led United Progressive Alliance (UPA). On coming to power, INC named her the Central Railway Minister.
• To hold the chair of Chief Minister of West Bengal in May 2011, she stepped down from the Union Ministry of Railways.
• She again became the Chief Minister of West Bengal in 2016.
|Physical Stats & More|
|Weight (approx.)||in Kilograms- 59 kg
in Pounds- 130 lbs
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters- 163 cm
in meters- 1.63 m
in Feet Inches- 5’ 4”
|Hair Colour||Salt & Pepper|
|Eye Colour||Hazel Brown|
|Age (as in 2017)||62 Years|
|Date of Birth||5 January 1955|
|Birth Place||Kolkata, West Bengal, India|
|Zodiac sign/Sun sign||Capricorn|
|Family||Father- Promileswar Banerjee
Mother- Gayetri Devi
Brothers- Amit Banerjee, Ajit Banerjee, Kali Banerjee, Baben Banerjee, Ganesh Banerjee, Samir Banerjee
|Educational Qualifications||B.A.(Honours) History
M.A. in Islamic History
Bachelor of Laws
Bachelor of Education
|Hometown||Kolkata, West Bengal, India|
|College||Jogamaya Devi College, Kolkata
University of Calcutta, Kolkata
Shri Shikshayatan College, Kolkata
Jogesh Chandra Chaudhuri Law College, Kolkata
|School||Deshbandhu Sishu Sikshalaya, Kolkata|
|Major Controversies||• In December 1998, Mamata controversially held Dogra Prasad Saroj, a Samajwadi Party MP, by his collar and dragged him out of the well of Lok Sabha while he was protesting against the Women's Reservation Bill.
• She was heavily criticized for her remarks on the climbing number of rapes in India. Mamata, in October 2012, said "Earlier, if men and women were seen together holding each other's hands, they would get caught by the parents and be rebuked by them, but now everything is open. It's like an open market with a number of options."
• Under the Chief Ministership of Mamata, West Bengal government in October 2016 imposed a ban on Durga Puja after nearly 25 Muslim families raised objections against the practice. The state government said that Durga Puja could hurt the sentiments of the Muslim community as Muharram was on the following day. The decision of the state government, however, was later overturned by the Calcutta High Court and was tagged "a bid to appease minorities."
• In January 2017, the word "Rainbow" in Bengali textbooks was replaced with "Ramdhonu" which means 'Ram's Bow' to the word "Rongdhonu," which translates to 'Bow of Colors' by the West Bengal Council for Higher Education. A section of West Bengal population saw it as yet another attempt of minority appeasement as "Ram" is the name of one of the figures in Hindu mythology, and that Bangladesh is a Muslim majority country.
|Debut||She stepped into the world of politics with Indian National Congress in 1970.|
|Boys, Affairs and More|
|Net Worth (approx.)||INR 40 Lakh (as in 2016)|
- Does Mamata Banerjee smoke?: Not Known
- Does Mamata Banerjee drink liquor?: Not Known
- She was only 15 years of age when she turned out to be effectively engaged with governmental issues with the Indian National Congress and built up “Chhatra Parishad Unions,” the understudy’s wing of Congress Party when she was an understudy of Jogamaya Devi College.
- Absence of therapeutic treatment brought about Mamata losing her dad when she was no more established than 17.
- Mamata, with no diverted preparing or expert classes, has made herself an artist and a painter.
- She was discharged of her portfolios in 2003 after she challenged in a rally at the Brigade Parade Ground in Kolkata and declared that she would advance down as the Sports Minister as a result of government’s impassion towards her proposition to enhance the games in the country.
- Mamata broke every one of her ties with the Congress party in 1997 and set up her own gathering ‘All India Trinamool Congress’ which soon turned into the lead resistance gathering to the maturing Communist government in the state.
- After turning into the main female Chief Minister of West Bengal in 2011, she chose to restore the 400 sections of land of land to the ranchers of Singur. She said if ‘Goodbye babu’ (Ratan Tata) needs to set up a processing plant, he can continue his arrangement on the staying 600 sections of land, else, we will perceive how to go about it.
- In February 2012, Bill Gates sent a letter toward the West Bengal government hailing Mamata and her organization for accomplishing an entire year with no revealed instances of Polio in the state. The letter read “This was a point of reference for India as well as for the entire world.
- One of her works of art named ‘Blossom Power’ was unloaded at a function occasion in New York City in October 2012. With a base cost of $2500, and after 5 offers, it was sold at $3000. The artistic creation had a bed of green leaves in acrylic and oil on canvas having purple blossoms on it.
- In spite of Narendra Modi’s wave in the country, Mamata figured out how to hold her post as the Chief Minister of West Bengal for the second sequential term after her gathering performed incredibly well in 2016 get together decisions and won a sum of 211 seats out of 293.
- She, through her political life, has kept up an unadorned open appearance. She dresses in a customary white Saree and dependably wears ‘Hawai Chappal.’